Saturday, February 02, 2008

Sometimes they have quotas to fill

Marnie and I were out and about today, feeling kinda bummed because our internet signal at the new house is pretty weak. They are installing an amplifier this next week, so until then we have to unplug it from the splitter and plug it directly into the wall.

Anyway....

I turn right onto Vista Way as we head to Bed, Bath and Beyond. The jeep is a little sluggish so I give it some gas and as we crest the hill I look in my rearview, guess what I see? Yea, a boy in blue on his bike, giving me the flashers. I pull over, he saunters up on Marnie's side. He's like "Do you know why I pulled you over?" Of course I don't, and well Marnie was a little beside herself. He proceeded to then ask me what the speed limit was. I replied that it was 45 mph. He said it is now, but back by the light it was 40 mph. I apologize and said I thought all of Vista Way was 45 mph (which, I believe the rest of it is, even by the residential portion). He said he clocked me at 55 mph. Marnie about fell out of the jeep. She said that she was pretty sure I wasn't going that fast because she would have yelled at me for going that fast. He then tried to get me for not wearing a seatbelt either.

I explained that I was a large man and that I had to take it off the get the registration out of the glove box. He said he was sure that he didn't see me wearing a seatbelt. He came back with a ticket for the speeding and said that he would let me off with a warning for the seatbelt. Well, Marnie and I were pretty upset at that point, but I just took the ticket and said I would drive safer.

The ticket is $160. I can spend an extra $28 on top of that and go to traffic school to make sure it doesn't go on my insurance. I guess the increase in insurance will be more than $28 so I will go to traffic school.

What was more interesting is that we went back that way after coming back from the store and he had pulled over someone else as well. Interesting...

4 comments:

Mike said...

It's how they do it. And they wonder why the cops never seem to get a lot of public appreciation. When you're supposed to be in the business of protecting the public and it seems like all you're doing is fleecing them, well...

Chris said...

Weak. Yeah, Vista cops are the rake, I've been pulled over there too.

Unknown said...

And when you went back did you check the speed limit at the light? Was it actually 40 mph?

Brad said...

Meanwhile across town [or the street] real crimes are happening ...

Sorry to hear it was so expensive.