Thursday, December 06, 2007

All Good Things...

must come to an end.

I'm not going to talk about why they did this or how long this has been coming because..well, I don't know. Outside of chatting it up with one of my BFF, I don't really know what's going on there anymore. They still owe me money, but it's been a couple years and I don't think they are going to make good on it.

What I will talk about is the game. During the Black Year (2005), I was left with the task of being Lead Designer for both of Decipher's flagship products, LOTR:TCG and StarTrek2E. I couldn't have done it without the help I received (especially from Plaine, Kirk, Keller). I remember when I was sitting down to continue to design To Boldly Go (it was already partially done). I was thinking to myself, "how was I going to be able to do this without the grandfathers of trek?" It was going to be difficult, especially since I wasn't as experienced as my predecessors. I mean c'mon, my first trek design was this stainer card and we all know how much play that saw. I think my favorite cards based on gameplay from To Boldly Go were -
Go Big or Go Home
I have a soft spot for mini games
They aren't that bad...no really, they aren't
How about my favorite cards from an art/thematic/Girard point -
I love it when the picture tells the story
prettyblatent although, I don't know why I penciled myself in as the dead guy.
homage to Corbin
Wife's maiden name
Mikey makes an appearance
Kicked in the Knee!!!
and the Shoehorn card of the set - Data Chip this was not my finest hour.

I will talk about other sets I was lucky enough to work on tomorrow.

2 comments:

BubbaJoe said...

It is always nice to know you were appreciated, and you know... named... =(

Brad said...

come oooonnnnn! i wanna hear about other expansions you worked on and what possessed you to thing shuttles and runabouts were a good idea.