Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Captain's Log

So it's a couple days late, but here are my thoughts about Captain's Log. However, before I do this, I forgot to mention another important person that helped me out during that time. Justin Beal was an integral part of this time period in Trek and a good friend.

One of the big things that I loved to do to get inspiration was just watch episodes. Just random episodes, during work, at home, anytime I could. I would write down what I thought was a good scene to do a screen pull from and go back and get that as an image. This is some of my favorite images from Captain's Log (For Reference - see this link for all the cards.

A Pattern of Lies - Another great face to face shot from the Trek universe.
Chameloid Chicanery - that's how she got out of the shackles (this was more about the title I think).
Nose to Nose - YEA!!! another cool face to face shot and an homage to other dilemmas that were similar.
Warp-Speed Transfer - it's cool for what it is, but could have been much better if we could show Tucker between them.
Larson - You may think that this is just a relatively lame personnel shot, but you have no idea how many hours went into getting this screen capture and then having art clean it up the best they can. This guy was on screen for a split second and there was just a split second when he wasn't moving. There was a lot of effort put into this one shot.
Worf/Jadzia in Red - This was orginally supposed to be promo cards (not sure if they were the sales incentive or not). This was a great pairing of images and worked really well on cardboard as well. I hope to explore these image pairings more in my current job, i think they look really well and players/collectors are pleasantly surprised when they notice them.
Quark's Treasure - It is really hard to get an action shot with some blur in it. I think this was an exceptional pull and if I remember right, suggested this design back during Necessary Evil or maybe Strange New Worlds. It wasn't the right time for it, but with Quark being the captain, it seemed to fit better in this set.


And of course, images that I wish could have been better, but the Decipher art department did a great job cleaning up nonetheless.

Compassionate Interference - jeez, blurry and was pulled in too far.
Krayton - another horrible image, but this was zoomed in and unblurred as much as possible.


As for the design of the set, the players loved Captains and Ships, so it was easy to give players more of what they loved, including some that they thought they might never see (Enterprise-C). I'm going to be honest here in that I felt that I did a better job on the previous set than I did with Captain's Log.

Next time, I'll talk a bit about boutique sets that were done under my watch.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Apparently Decipher just got $450k in venture capital from some investor. You should tell them to, you know, give you your GODDAMNED MONEY. :)

BubbaJoe said...

Thanks!

You didn't need to do that, but I appreciate the fact that you did.