Friday, January 18, 2008

Oh yea...that's the stuff



So I dragged my almost 30, overweight ass to the movie theatre at around 10pm last night because I thought that with all the hype there might be lines and the whole nine yards. I was the only one in that particular movie theatre screen room thing until about 20 minutes before the show started (11:59). It filled up pretty quickly, but wasn't completely full. I had the middle seat in the front row of the second tier (where the bars are to rest my feet).

The Star Trek Teaser was great. It didn't reveal any of the plot points, it showed some dudes building the enterprise. And it had a Leonard Nimoy voice over with a flash of the Starfleet symbol to cap it off. I was significantly teased.

As for the movie itself...I was very satisified with my experience. I had expectations going into it and those expectations were met. I didn't mind the motion blur or the camera angles. There were several times where I actually felt that I was there running with them. They did a great job of not running the monster out on the screen to start the movie. I think it was a brilliant job of releasing little bits here and there and then showing some great shots of it in the middle and last half of the movie.

The actors/actresses didn't ruin it. They didn't over or under act IMO. They felt like they had development and there was just enough comedy in it to get a laugh here and there, but it wasn't overly goofy. I think almost all of the "decisions" were real enough for me (in terms of deciding what to do in a panic situation, etc).

I think the thing that really put it over the top for me was the fact that they did a couple scenes that, before the scene concluded I thought to myself "it would be cool if they went this route, but of course they won't". Well they ended up going that route several times and I was pretty impressed. They pulled it off with class as well. The other great aspect about this movie is that the sound is just as important as the visuals. There were times where I could shut my eyes and listen to what was happening and still be able to picture what was going on. I think that is a great tool to use every once in awhile for a movie. Also, the overture at the end was pretty epic (done by Skywalker sound)

I don't have any beefs with this movie. I know that not everybody will like it, there were even some "geeks" that were there that seemed to scoff at it. It is pretty artistic, especially with the start of the movie and the end of it. I didn't leave feeling unsatisified with the ending.

Overall, this movie will make it into my top 100 and I will probably see it more than once this weekend (I feel there were a bunch of background things that I missed).

PS - in the First Look portion in the beginning (before the previews) they showed clips of the new Knight Rider. It too looks watchable.

No comments: