Tuesday, March 11, 2008

At least it was online

So sunday I hunkered down and went through my online driver's safety course. I had to complete a course by 3/19 if I didn't want the points to show up on my record and have my insurance shoot through the roof.

This is the second time in my life that I have done one of these to not have points on my record. The first time was in Arizona and 8 hours in a class with a bunch of dumb people was boring. This time I tried the online direction. It was $25 or so and I paid the upgraded shipping to make sure it got here this week before I returned to the valley of the sun this weekend.

It said that it would take around 8 hours. I thought to myself, "there's no way, it's a self paced tool." Luckily I was right, I finished in just under 5 hours. I probably went through it slower than I needed to. There were 8 sections, about 4-6 subsections in each section and then about 9-11 pages in each subsection. There is a quiz at the end of each section in which you need to get 10 out of 10 to move on. If you miss any, they review the answer with you and you get to take the quiz again (different questions the next time through). There was a quiz at the end in which you needed 80% to pass. 25 questions, I got an 88%. I missed some stupid numbers question (how many people were killed as a result of drunk driving in 2005, When you have to move off the shoulder, what should you do? I answered turn on your brights, the correct answer was be wary of tall dry grass...riiiiight. I can't remember what the third question I got wrong was). So I got that taken care of, won't get those 5 hours back, thank goodness I could watch TV while doing it.

Interesting tidbit -
They no longer recommend the 10-2 position on a steering wheel. The new hotness is 8-4. This does a couple things. It prevents your arms from getting tired, it helps to prevent arm injury in an accident (because you have a tendency to lock up your elbows when they are extended), and it helps facilitate the push/pull turning action. I'm not convinced.

No comments: