Sunday, June 05, 2005

"It's not tipping I believe in..."

"...it's over tipping."

That line is from one of my top 3 movies. And it's something that I have believed in ever since I was old enough to pay for food. That was then reinforced when I started working for Pizza Hut, always looking for that extra buck. So tonite, I get Outback Curbside to Go (because there were some alliance mopes that were asking for a beating, so we couldn't take the time to go and sit down there). The bill comes out and I think to myself, "what is a proper tip for this"? I mean, we tip the waiter/waitress for bringing us our food, keeping our drinks topped off, seeing if we need anything, and being friendly. These waiters/watresses don't actually cook our food so that isn't taken into account in either situation (whether it's curbside to go or dining in). So what is the right amount? I usually tip about 25-30% if they did a good job, kept my drink filled, and didn't piss Marnie off. Well the curbside to go waitress was nice, quick, asked me if I needed anything else and she wished me a good night (and she didn't even try to hit on me, which I can't say about the Paula Abdul wannabe at the No Frills Grill today for lunch). So she got about a 20% tip. The only thing that she didn't do is keep my glass full (which I didn't have). I mean, it's not like I keep a tip card in my wallet (like a friend that I know).

That movie still rocks.

5 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, I have the same issue at Plaza Azteca when I go to pick up an order I call in. I ususally just give them about 3 bucks as I think that adequately covers accuracy.

I also think it likely that no one does this so they don't even notice the tip, and it just goes to the house, but oh well, I feel better.

erika said...

some thoughts about tipping:

that person who brought the food to your car is working for tips. he/she likely makes an hourly wage (in the state of virginia the going rate is $2.13/hour), but that just mainly covers taxes. you don't know how much work he/she put in assembling your food. also, he/ she likely has to tip-out the expeditor (sp?) who made sure you got your pickle, lettuce, tomato, no mayonnaise, etc.

20% across the board, usually no less than $3 (because, really, that extra $1-$2 could make or break the server's night, and it doesn't make that much of a difference to me). sometimes, if the service is especially good or the server has gone the extra mile, or he/she gives the kind of service i like (non-intrusive)... more than 20%.

but, i've thought a lot about tipping.

Shocho said...

Since you be callin me out, I gotsta splain.

I got the "15% & 20% TIP TABLE®" from Hallmark, after a discussion with Big Time at a luncheon date in which he came THIS CLOSE to calling me Mr. Pink cause I tipped like 19.95% instead of 20% or somethin.

So it's not a question of To Tip Or Not To Tip, it's just the math that vexes me. Now I have a card in my wallet that solves that problem. And I often tip more than it says, so there, I'm really a nice guy, didn't know that didja?

Kathy said...

Here's how I figure it out. 20% is easy. Move the decimal point to the left one space, then double it. Thusly:

If the bill is $31.48, move the decimal point over...$3.14. This is 10%. Then double to get 20%...$6.28. Pretty simple.

For extra points, 25% is easiest to do if you remember what half of the original decimal-point-moved number was as well, so you're remembering $3.14 and $1.57 (half of $3.14, which is half of 10%, which is 5%). Then double the $3.14 to $6.28 (which is 20%) and add the $1.57 (that extra 5%) to get $7.85.

It's easy once you do it a few times.

Or you can just use the card.

Plus, some places print it out on the credit card receipt now. They show you what 15%, 20%, and 25% would be. The China Buffet by us does this, and I think it probably helps the servers a lot.

thisismarcus said...

I've never tipped for "to go" food cos I haven't been waited on, but otherwise 20% is normal for me. Less (or none) if they were rude; more if I'm on a date, etc.

What's the etiquette for cab fares? I do about 10% here, I think. It's more about rounding up the bill and whether work was paying...