Monday, December 12, 2005

My Dad

My dad is in the hospital. He has emphysema. He has smoked for a long time, was in vietnam, is "old", and works in the valley at the airport. Any one of those could have contributed to it. He has some growth and entangling of the ganglia in his lung. Unfortunately, he has a bigger one in the lung that didn't collapse on friday.

This is my dad....

This guy has been shot, has a purple heart, has been a state trooper for more than 35 years, fought in Vietnam. He thought "a fairly serious disease which I will not disclose here" was like a common cold and that he would be over it shortly, even though there is no cure.

It was very tough to see my father lying in the hospital bed, outside of my wife, probably the toughest person seeing lying in a hospital bed. I don't know how to react. My father and I have been close, but we rarely talk, it's just the way we are. Our wives constantly try to get us to call one another, but we never have anything to chat about over the phone unless it's sports and that runs out quickly.

Hopefully we'll hear positive news today from the CT dr and surgeon. He has what is called Bullous Lung Disease.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Good luck to him and your family. I agree - there is nothing as unsettling as seeing the older men in your life succumbing to the infirmities of age and disease. I used to think my father could punch through a steel door. When he had his heart surgery, it was tough for me to absorb that he was no longer carrying the sword and shield for the family.

Ray said...

Best wishes to your dad, man. Its even more rough during this time of the year. I hope for the best.

Trundling Grunt said...

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get some good news.