Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Hills at night

So...if you know me, you know I have an issue with scary movies. I mean, when I was younger, I was scared to death every time the Thriller video would come on. And then V hit and they ate the Guinea Pigs and I lost it. So we fast forward to today. It's 12:30am. I should be asleep, instead I just finished up grinding to 3/4 of the way through 64 (longest...level....ever). I figured I would unwind with a movie, I scroll through the movie channels and find, the Hills Have Eyes. I knew I should have kept on scrolling.

I watched it....all of it. A buddy of mine gave a review on it and he was pretty spot on about most of it. The dropping of the gun next to the "dead" bad guy was terrible. I actually thought it was the married sister who seemed to be the level headed one was going to be the survivor. The blowing away of the mother, the fire scene, the dude waking up after taking one in the head were all pretty good "holy freaking crap" scenes. The rest of it was pretty predictible. I don't think it was as bad as Mr. Heimlich's...err sorry, Dr. Heimlich (Yea I know you didn't go to years of doctor school to be referred as mister) assessment.

Speaking of which, I don't think I would have been able to sit down and watch this movie (despite my heart beating out of my chest) without the expertise of Kyle/Evan. They sat me down in October a couple years ago and it was " a scary movie a night". This was the first time I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, etc.

1 comment:

Mike said...

It helps that most horror flicks, especially of the "slasher" subgenre, are steaming piles of cinematic shit.

Now take something like The Exorcist... oh man, the first time I saw that one as a teenager, it scared the living material out of me.