Monday, January 23, 2006

ATTK 4 2


I had a friend who was once going to get that on his license plate, now he has a tattoo of the blue mana symbol on his left arm.

I went prereleasing on saturday. The judge that we drew for my pod only gave us 20 minutes for deck construction so it was tough trying to digest all the new cards and making sure not to overlook power in other colors, etc. I ultimately decided on R/W/G because well, Timmy likes to play cratures and swing for 2. I got a Legionaire, the 1/2 doublestrike guy, a couple of Wildsizes (which I believe is an amazing cycle of cards), and a couple of phatties that will swing for 6+. I breezed through my first two opponents and ran into the mirror match in the 3rd match. He had more of an enchantment focus on the magemarks and the common guy that got +1/+1 while enchanted. He played me to a 1/2 loss and then I went on to smoke my 4th round opponent. The guy who beat me got first and I got 3rd so I got 5 packs for my effort.

Favorite card from the set is the card pictured. How could you not like that guy, draw a card ping for one. They could have probably knocked a R/U off his cost and removed the T: draw a card text, but I have noticed that recently magic has gone for more of the direct approach and would rather have a combo be included in 1 card rather than make the player search elsewhere for the trigger. Example - If Megrim came out for the first time in a recent set, it would probably have "Cost: Discard a card" added onto it.

Later on Saturday I got kicked out of Hounds of Rexxar. It was high school drama all over again. I posted on a different guilds website asking if they were recruiting protection spec'ed warriors because I had heard through the grapevine that they were. Now this guild requires a lot of committment and I wasn't sure if I wanted to put in that much effort and it wasn't that I had actually applied for this new guild. But the powers that be in HoR saw the post and they took it as an application and as soon as I logged on, i was /gkick'ed. I tried to speak with the guy that kicked me to see if it could be resolved or at least give him my side of the story, but he put me on ignore. So I'm guildless once again. I think I will see if I can tag along with the new guild unless HoR accepts my petition. I truly want to be in HoR and wouldn't have applied if I didn't. Oh well.

It's a good thing I didn't bet on football this weekend, I would have gotten SEA right, but I probably would have bet on DEN and lost. I feel bad for Brad, they were doing so well.

Not much else is going on, we didn't get to game yesterday because of some miscommunication (evidently nobody told steph that we were gaming later rather and canceling all together). We really need to figure out a way to down that mage. I have to get with the mages to see if there is a spell that will prevent the evil mage from seeing me coming. Element of surprise and all that.

4 comments:

Hayden said...

You should have asked that judge what his name and level was and why he was ignoring both the Universal and Magic Floor rules in giving you guys only 20 minutes to build decks. That crap is weak and shouldn't be tolerated.

TheGirard said...

ehh, he was a buddy of mine.

Mike said...

Hayden... it was a pre-release. 8k, rules level 1. The judges can ask you to wear hats on your feet and hamburgers on your head and nothing will come of it. I found the timeframe difficult too... I played in a flight after girard's. But that's how the "casual" events go. It would never fly at a qualifier.

Hayden said...

-mike, I know what REL and K-Value it was. I ran the one in Long Island. The whole point is to make these events fun for players and an entry level for potential new players. Cutting the time down to 20 gives players less time to see cards they've never seen before and reduces the fun factor. The floor rules are there for a reason and do not become obsolete when the REL and K-Value drop. Sure you can cut times, but that doesn't make it right.