Friday, May 20, 2005

Episdoe III - Girard's Take

I don't let people get me down about things that I'm excited about. I probably know more movie critics than any major motion picture studio. There are even people that would go so far as to boycott it. To each his own I guess. The following may contain spoilers, who knows.

I really liked this movie. I didn't think that the reference train was over done. I mean, I liked the fact that they went to great lengths to tie up loose ends and it shows that George cares about such things. He could have just said "screw it, I'm not doing anything for the fans of the original trilogy". Which a lot of the fans believed that he did for the first couple movies. I guess I was a firm believer in him when he said that these movies were mostly for new fans, not necessarily the old ones.

I didn't mind the comedy in the opening portions of the movie, I actually laughed and thought it was entertaining. I also did see the Falcon docked at the Senate building when they were landing with Palpatine.

I loved the unsure nature of what Anakin was going through. He was being taught that the Jedi way is the right way. No feelings and selfless. To me there was a comparison of Vulcan vs. Human a little bit there. It was especially tough for him because of the passion he had for Padme. Then comes along the "for the good of the country" attitude of Palpatine, which was also what he was taught, which was that the republic was bigger than any one person. So, go down the route of the jedi or the route of palpatine, a way that he can embrace his passion for padme and still continue to serve the republic. I think this portion was the most enriching and entertaining to me, mostly because I don't know that if the situation was presented to me, that I would have chosen a different path.

Padme's death was also something that I could relate to and understand. Marnie has seen the movie yet, but I am sure that she will understand the "loss of will to live." Marnie and I have discussed this several times and because we have such passion and undying love for each other, this wouldnt' be unlike something that we would probably experience with the loss of the other. We feel that strongly about each other and the idea that life is not worth living without the other is not foreign to us.

So to me, it's a thinking person's movie. There were a lot of thought provoking conversations and situations that I enjoyed being privvy to. This also helped to make segues to action sequences. I mean, the movie couldn't be completely 100% action and I think Lucas did a great job providing the viewer with thought provoking material in between.

All that and soo many SW references to all the movies, it was great. And hey, any movie with a mouse droid can't be bad at all. I know I will be seeing it many times again.

No comments: