Thursday, May 05, 2005

Religion

I figure I better make a comment about this and get it out in the open before people are thinking things about me that are true.

I don't believe in organized religion and I don't believe there is a god. I know that some people will pity me, but that's ok for them to. A long time ago I had a life threatening ailment. It took probably the best year of my high school life and I never quite recovered from it. Anyway, at that point in my life I decided that if there was a god, then I wouldn't have randomly contracted this ailment in the first place (which is what is was...random, doctors couldn't figure out why/how it happened). Of course you could argue that it was him who made it so I didn't die, but I call BS on that because I pulled through it myself.

so there you have it, you will probably judge me differently, but if you do, well then we might not have been friends in the first place. Believe me, I have no problems whatsoever with people who believe there is a god, but the minute you try and push those beliefs on me, then we'll rumble. ;)

3 comments:

erika said...

maybe i'll be the only one with the balls to respond to this.

imho, there is a vast difference between "religion" and "faith." your post seems to touch a little on each.

so, you don't believe in organized religion. completely valid and, in these days when people associate religion with extreme right-wing crazys, understandable.

but, completely aside from the issue of a higher power, do you have faith in the innate goodness of people? do you have faith in your fellow man?

life without faith in something, whether or not it's a higher power , seems pretty empty to me.

but you know my bleeding heart. :-)

thisismarcus said...

Good distinction. Faith = yes. Religion = no, personally. But like The Girard I'm educated and respectful about others' beliefs. (Some of my favorite family members believe.)

The stumbling block for me is that all religions are based on texts that purport to connect with and contain information about THE higher power(s). How can one be more accurate than another? That question has led to more bloodshed throughout history than any other.

I do believe there could be higher powers, but how anyone down here can pretent to know their true nature I just don't know.

I did like that Jesus character though. He preached tolerance.

TheGirard said...

Erika - I believe that there is good in people and I have faith in my fellow man. But I don't believe that has anything whatsoever to do with some "higher power".

Marcus - Yea, that Jesus guy is a nice story.